Monday, February 23, 2015

Jo's Nose

The night before Vivian's birthday party Jo went to make a drop off at the nearest Goodwill. By the time she returned the kids were asleep. I was already reading in bed. I heard the freezer door opening and ice being removed noisily (there's no way to do that quietly). Then she walked into the bedroom holding an icepack to her nose.


"The car hit my head" she said, speaking through the icepack. At first  I thought she had had a wreck. But I soon learned that Jo had lowered the hatchback on to her nose. Here's a photo of the resulting damage taken by Vivian a couple of days later at breakfast at the Shahs. Small but painful.

If there had been a security camera at Goodwill that night, I understand the footage would have been a thing of viral beauty. Jo hopping around the car yell "Fuck! Fuck!" at the top of her lungs. Then reaching into a bag of old clothes and coming up with Evan's old t-shirt to stanch the flow of blood. And finally continuing to unload donation items with her face half covered in a bloody old t-shirt.

Anyway, I made it through Vivian's birthday party without having to go into any family violence explanations. 

No comments: