Saturday, February 28, 2015

Nerditos

So what do you do on a Monday morning in Orlando if you are from out of town and not Disney bound? Arjun suggested go to the superb Science Center.

I had to drag the kids away for lunch after three hours. For most of the time they were inside the Engineering Area. Vivian built free standing arches ("Daddy - help me with the keystone") out of giant foam blocks. And played with gears that had magnetized axles that you could move around on a metal surface and engage in different ways. She worked out how to use gears of different sizes to change speed, and odd or even numbers to change direction. And then she built spindly towers with these spoke and hub like things.



Evan spent his entire time on this robot table. There were four types of cubes (battery pack, sensor, actuator, and a noisy thing) and he had to click them into each other in various ways and configurations to make self propelled things that whirled and spun and raced around the table. At the end he said "Daddy - I think when I grow up I'm going to be an engineer scientist".

Nerdy kids. Yes!

No comments: