Monday, April 20, 2015

Getting Ready

Today is Wednesday. Evan's birthday party is on Saturday.

Jo says about 70 people are coming - most of whom we hardly know but their children are Evan's classmates. Evan has asked for the party to be "Wild Kratts" themed, a second tier PBS show from Canada.

So Jo has been driving to big box stores around Austin to buy plain black t-shirts for 5 year olds. She buys up their entire stock of three or five shirts and brings them back home and turns them into "creature power" suits by cutting off the sleeves and glueing bits of blue and green fabric on to them. And then she make a run to the next Target.

Meanwhile birthday party shit is piling up. Jo needs to mow the yard and clear out the garage and order the cake and decide on food and drink. That woman.

She says she can get it all done on Thursday and Friday.

On Thursday morning Jo took Crazy to the vet because her meow changed (it happened over Spring Break). Then our decorator came in to take professional photographs of the living room while Jo walked around with Baby Z in the back yard.  


At lunch time I picked both kids and took them to the dentist. Vivian will get braces in summer. Evan wanted chocolate flavored cleaning paste. Then Jo took Evan to his swim class and Vivian and I went to meet her friends for a play date. The moms drank topo chico and discussed nail polish and I was the only dad around. Then I dropped Vivian back home and went to my play date - uh - happy hour. Thursday gone.


On Friday morning I went to Vivian's school and stood around at a mini science fair while the kids ran amok like orangutans in a banana plantation. Then Jo and I went to Costco and Central Market and got food and drinks for the party. And we checked and rechecked the weather and it still said 80% chance of thundershowers and hailstorms for tomorrow during the party.



On Friday evening, confident that we were totally unprepared for the party, we had Jen and Travis over for a long slow dinner and while I was on a business call that took for ever, Jo and Travis moved some of the furniture from the living room into our bedroom to decrease the chances of muddy five year old footprints on the white couch the next day.

At about 10 o'clock at night towards the end of the second bottle of wine, Robbe, our neighbor dropped by with tiny bunny shaped cakes that she had baked for Evan. And Jo and I called it a night and went to bed with no firm plans of how or where to entertain a bunch of people at our home the next morning.

No comments: