That's two views of Vivian. The other day for a moment she showed the Hulk side.
We had walked/biked/scootered to Ramsey Park. I noticed that Lee and a couple of others were playing a pick-up game of soccer. I jumped into their game. There were these two boys about Vivian's age and five adults playing. The boys were pretty good and they knew that, though the adults were giving them a wider berth than I would. We played till Jo and the kids finished doing their thing in the park and circled back towards where we were. Lee asked Vivian and Evan to join the game and just then we declared "last goal". The two boys were on my team. Vivian and Evan were on the other. We started. Evan got the ball somehow. He passed it to Vivian accidentally. Vivian took off. She broke away with the two boys in hot pursuit and controlled the ball somehow and ran faster than them and score a goal in one of those tiny folding goals. I am still surprised.
Everyone shook hands and the game ended and we started making our way back home. I said "Vivian - that was pretty good". And that's when she said that when she and Evan joined the game, she overheard the two boys talking shit. One told the other "This will be easy. One's a girl. The other one's little".
"So I had to score a goal and show them"
I'm glad Vivian isn't taking this sexism stuff nicely.
Evan added "I heard him too. I said I'm going to kick the ball to your head and cannon-ball it into the goal off your head".
Jo asked "Did you say that to him?"
Evan: "No - I said it to him in my head."
Next time, Evan. Though, for now everyone thinks that Vivian and Evan know how to play soccer. And I know that Vivian isn't going to take any of this sexism shit.


No comments:
Post a Comment