On Saturday afternoon, soon after we got to the International Festival at Magellan, I rounded up eight little girls and one boy and got them changed into their colorful Indian clothes - mostly Vivian's. Then Sayuri and some teachers seated and fed Vivian and "her troupe" strawberries and cupcakes and waited on them and called them "la princesa" and I walked around and stuck color-coordinated bejeweled bindis on the little foreheads and got them off towards the stage when it was five minutes to show time.
Waiting beside the stage they were so excited that they wiggled and jumped and spun around till it was time to walk onstage. Carol, Grace, Cade and Evan were seated in the second row and Nicolle popped her head into Magellan just in the nick of time to hear Ms. Marisa announce "Vivian Chatterjee and her troupe will start things off. They are performing Jai Ho - a Indian song". And suddenly the girls went all calm and professional and cool. And they took up their positions and started in perfect time with the music.
By the time they finished and walked off the stage two and a half minutes later to some serious applause it was a 2nd grade girl fest that rolled like a tsunami over everyone. They hugged and kissed and high-fived and hugged again and then did it in groups and then with more friends and teachers and mothers and siblings. Somewhere in the middle I managed to get an after photo.
I asked Carol what she thought. "It was great. Vivian did very well". Then an after thought "She isn't shy". With what Vivian was wearing, you could say that again.
Later that afternoon Evan and Vivian got to go chill with the full contingent of their Grace Garden friends at a playdate at the Riley's. Their mothers have a rough time coordinating all the kids to be at one place at the same time, but with the mothers somewhere off "camping" the dads had no such trouble.
At some point I took Vivian to yet another engagement - a near-spontaneous sleep over at Sage's (she had asked Vivian this same morning). And then much later Evan and I drove back home and ate the remaining Upper Crust cinnamon rolls and watched "How To Train A Dragon 2" till we both fell asleep on the couch and I carried him to bed.
We need to pick up the house and bathe and clean up and do some laundry and homework before Jo gets back. Perhaps tomorrow.
Waiting beside the stage they were so excited that they wiggled and jumped and spun around till it was time to walk onstage. Carol, Grace, Cade and Evan were seated in the second row and Nicolle popped her head into Magellan just in the nick of time to hear Ms. Marisa announce "Vivian Chatterjee and her troupe will start things off. They are performing Jai Ho - a Indian song". And suddenly the girls went all calm and professional and cool. And they took up their positions and started in perfect time with the music.
By the time they finished and walked off the stage two and a half minutes later to some serious applause it was a 2nd grade girl fest that rolled like a tsunami over everyone. They hugged and kissed and high-fived and hugged again and then did it in groups and then with more friends and teachers and mothers and siblings. Somewhere in the middle I managed to get an after photo.
I asked Carol what she thought. "It was great. Vivian did very well". Then an after thought "She isn't shy". With what Vivian was wearing, you could say that again.
Later that afternoon Evan and Vivian got to go chill with the full contingent of their Grace Garden friends at a playdate at the Riley's. Their mothers have a rough time coordinating all the kids to be at one place at the same time, but with the mothers somewhere off "camping" the dads had no such trouble.
At some point I took Vivian to yet another engagement - a near-spontaneous sleep over at Sage's (she had asked Vivian this same morning). And then much later Evan and I drove back home and ate the remaining Upper Crust cinnamon rolls and watched "How To Train A Dragon 2" till we both fell asleep on the couch and I carried him to bed.
We need to pick up the house and bathe and clean up and do some laundry and homework before Jo gets back. Perhaps tomorrow.


No comments:
Post a Comment