The other day after her shower Vivian stepped out of the bathroom looking like this. She had carefully positioned her hair to fall over the front of her face like a curtain and she thought it was scary funny - like a dementor. Nothing scares this girl, I thought.
The next day at about 3pm after watching The Martian all by my lonesome self at a movie theater in Houston I glanced at my phone and there was a message from Jo. At the school playground some girl's knee had ended up on Vivian's face and her lip and cheek had gotten pressed into and attached to her braces.
The dentist had to numb her with a shot (and precede that with a bout of nitrous) to free the inside of Vivian's face from her braces. Jo took Vivian back with her to school to pick up Evan that afternoon and to also reassure her classmates that she was still alive, but apparently Vivian's bloody lip didn't help settle any nerves (I got emails from dads of concerned classmates that night enquiring about Vivian's health).
But Vivian said she was fine. She and Evan sang happy birthday to me in two languages when I showed by later that evening and helped blow out the one candle (when you are old enough you get to hit reset). The next morning she ate a normal breakfast and went to school. No big deal.
Yesterday, a day later, she went over to say hello to Ava and see if they could read lines (they are in a play together). I heard this from Tim who was with Ava when she opened the door for Vivian.
"Ava - I think I'm addicted to nitrous oxide".
I'm conflicted.
Vivian's not seriously hurt. Good.
Nothing scares this girl. Good.
She can name her addictions. Meh.
At least she's articulate. And addiction has become a household term in Rosedale. As in when Ava announced "Zinnia is addicted to her formula".
The next day at about 3pm after watching The Martian all by my lonesome self at a movie theater in Houston I glanced at my phone and there was a message from Jo. At the school playground some girl's knee had ended up on Vivian's face and her lip and cheek had gotten pressed into and attached to her braces.
The dentist had to numb her with a shot (and precede that with a bout of nitrous) to free the inside of Vivian's face from her braces. Jo took Vivian back with her to school to pick up Evan that afternoon and to also reassure her classmates that she was still alive, but apparently Vivian's bloody lip didn't help settle any nerves (I got emails from dads of concerned classmates that night enquiring about Vivian's health).
But Vivian said she was fine. She and Evan sang happy birthday to me in two languages when I showed by later that evening and helped blow out the one candle (when you are old enough you get to hit reset). The next morning she ate a normal breakfast and went to school. No big deal.
Yesterday, a day later, she went over to say hello to Ava and see if they could read lines (they are in a play together). I heard this from Tim who was with Ava when she opened the door for Vivian.
"Ava - I think I'm addicted to nitrous oxide".
I'm conflicted.
Vivian's not seriously hurt. Good.
Nothing scares this girl. Good.
She can name her addictions. Meh.
At least she's articulate. And addiction has become a household term in Rosedale. As in when Ava announced "Zinnia is addicted to her formula".

No comments:
Post a Comment