Sunday, October 04, 2015

Mountain Bikers

This morning while we were still laying in bed Jo mentioned that we should take advantage of the cool weather and go mountain biking to McKinney Falls State Park. We packed up the bikes, grabbed tacos from the Shack and headed out.

The kids had never ridden on dirt before. Evan took a spill a few minutes in. Vivian got off her bike and walked it down a gentle slope. They were very unsure. But in about half an hour (and another spill later for poor Evan) they were rocking. Vivian said it felt like the same thrills she got while skiing. They were slamming down slopes and hammering up hills and extracted a promise that we do this every weekend ("when possible" I amended).


I couldn't get a photo to Vivian riding because she was always close behind me. In fact on the last steep slope I slowed down to check how she was doing and she slammed into my bike from behind.

"Vivian - did you hurt yourself?"
"Just on my vagina"
"Ooh"
"It's not too bad - you just have to hit it at the right spot"

Later Evan and Vivian walked around the limestone hollowed out into interesting shapes by running water and climbed and had a ton of fun.


When we returned, I grilled sausage, asparagus, and some whole fish. Vivian who loves fish declined to eat any:

"I like my fish to come in pieces, not whole."

Evan agreed to try some but the first bone he encountered turned him off. And while Jo ate a whole fish she too mentioned that the rest of the family seems to prefer fish in fillets or steaks, and not whole :-)

But the kids enjoyed sticking their fingers into the mouths of the fish to feel their teeth and Ava and Eleanor who dropped by during lunch did the same too - though somewhat more reluctantly.


Oh - and Jo and I are feeling the glow of accomplishment for getting shit done. I booked us a hotel in London and Jo booked my flights to India. I do things at the very last moment. Sometime I even put off  procrastinating till later. 

No comments: