Thursday, January 21, 2016

Ass

I feel that I can cook most edible things to taste reasonable. Like the lovely snow pea shoots very lightly sautéd with garlic in sesame oil. This was in the first CSA farm box of the season. And the first to go. Then I decided to try the turnips. Three lovely plump purple top beauties. The last time I had roasted them as you would any root vegetable. That was okay. This time I wanted the kids to eat it too. So I went with a recipe to puree them. The recipe promised that they would taste just like creamy mashed potato. I boiled them in milk, added garlic, herbs, butter, salt and pepper and pureed the whole thing.


While the turnips were simmering in milk I started to notice a bad smell. So did Jo and the kids. I shrugged away any suggestion that the end product would smell bad. "It's going to be just like creamy mashed potatoes". To which Evan hedged his bets by saying "I don't like mashed potatoes".

When the puree was ready I scooped up a big spoon and hungrily tried it. Then I hurriedly washed it all down the sink and ran the disposer for good measure. Tasted worse than ass. Much worse.

No comments: