This is Evan's autobiography (I have only translated his spelling):
I was born April 20 in Austin
I went to India
I turned 2 in Hawaii
I started Grace Garden
I thought Jesus was Cheez-its
I went to Disney World
I started cooking classes
I turned 4
Then next year I started Magellan
We had taken Vivian and Evan to a play, Tomas and the Library Lady, which is based on an autobiographical account of a young Mexican immigrant worker in Texas and Iowa in the 1930s. They handed Evan a worksheet after the play and this what he filled in that night.
The Jesus and Cheez-Its probably requires a bit of an explanation. Evan was attending Grace Garden at that time - a preschool run by a Methodist Church. They weren't into serious indoctrination but the kids had to go to chapel on Wednesdays and the pastor chatted with them. So Evan had heard of Jesus. About the same time he also came across this Tex-Mex gastronomical joke:
"What to do in queso emergency?"
"Pray to Cheesus"
He conflated "cheesus" into a word that he had heard - Cheez-Its. And from then on, as much as they tried at chapel, they could unfortunately never displace Cheez-Its with Jesus, and there ended Evan's religious education. But as far as autobiographies go I was impressed. Short and to the point.

No comments:
Post a Comment