Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Not Being Nice

In an unrelated incident, a couple of weeks ago Vivian turned christian fundamentalist on us. She insisted that there was no need to celebrate any other festival and that everyone all over the world only went to church and celebrated only christmas. We tried to explain: "That's not nice. People believe in a lot of different things and there's nothing wrong with that".

A week later I was having trouble with Vivian at the dinner table. She was toying with her food after the rest of us were done eating. I insisted that she sit and try to eat everything that was on her plate. After a few minutes of sulking, she said "Daddy - you are not being nice. You should let other people do what the want".

And now she has gotten it in her head that any disagreement with her isn't nice and should be quickly fixed. This evening we had gone out for drinks to celebrate Jen's new house. On the way to the car (Jo and Evan were already at the car while Vivian and I were still settling up):

"Daddy - why do we have to leave early?"

Because it's getting towards Evan's bedtime.

"Well - I am having a party with my friends"

I'm sorry sweetheart, it's time to go.

"Why are they not going home?"

Because they are grown-ups and they can stay out later than you.

"Can I call them for a party later?"

Not today, honey.

We get in the car and Vivian announces "You are not being nice and you are ruining my party".

No comments: