Are there more fun ways to spend a Sunday afternoon than watch a two and half hour long ballet show when you are sleep deprived? I think not. So Sunday saw the clan at the Long Center. Minus Evan - he got to spend the afternoon napping at home, lucky dog.
Jo and Vivian looked splendid in matching purple and black. Even I put on slacks and a dress shirt. Our seats were terrific. I took Vivian over to the pit so she could check out the orchestra as they warmed up before the show.
Earlier, she had seemed confused about the ballet thing and had questioned us closely. "Is it like a movie?" Not exactly, we said - there are real people performing in front of you. "Can I dance?" No. "Will there be popcorn?" No. I was apprehensive. Vivian hadn't slept well the night before and had to miss her afternoon nap. This is a girl who melts down without many many hours of sleep every day. And no popcorn or dancing to boot?
My worries were misplaced. Once the show started Vivian's eyes and attention were riveted to the stage. Periodically she'd lean over and whisper a question or comment. My eyes glazed over more than once during the unending second act (I hate the the plum fairy) but she persevered. Till the final moments, that is. Literally 30 seconds before the curtain call Vivian curled up on Mommy and fell into deep slumber.
No comments:
Post a Comment