Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day Seven

When I woke up I thought I had the flu. After wallowing in self pity for a few seconds, I managed to separate the symptoms into two different categories: muscle soreness from working out, and a mild case of a hangover. Phew!

It was Vivian's last day at Champs Camp. She's had a great time. I took Catherine and Evan with me to see her final pep rally. It was orchestrated chaos. Here's a grainy video. The picture on top is to help you find my little munchkin in the crowd. And to think that at the start of this week I wouldn't have been able to identify a Bieber song if my life depended on it.


Jo called from Liège this afternoon. We thought we'd be able to Facetime but apparently the bar at the hotel couldn't get it's internet together. Vivian got to chat with Jo on the phone.

Evan woke up from a very short afternoon nap in the grouchiest mood I have seen in a while. I tried the usual: cuddle, food, drink, outdoors, Backyardigans, diaper change. When I ran out of ideas I carried him back to his crib, left him there, and shut the door to his room. I intended to leave him there for 10 minutes to see if he would go back to sleep. He was crying his heart out and after a few minutes I began to feel like a big bad gaoler who throws a prisoner into solitary for bad behavior. I lasted 7 minutes. And he did calm down after that. I think he's missing mommy.

This evening we went for another reunion of sorts. Met my first office buddies from UT when I was a teaching assistant at the start of graduate school. I hadn't seen Ashok in more than a couple of decades.  Earlier this week it was Vijay from Pilani who I hadn't seen for about the same time. It's easy to get nostalgic in old age. But it's also great to meet old friends and see how wonderfully well they have done.

It's 4:28am of Day Eight. I'm going to pay for this in an hour or so. Good night.

No comments: