Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Nebraska...the good life

We are in Nebraska. Approximately. I'm sitting on a la-z-boy in a cabin somewhere in Kansas as I type this. We landed in Missouri (Kansas City airport) yesterday. And we mostly to go Falls City, which is in Nebraska. Looks all the same to me...

We opted to fly to Kansas City and drive the rest of the way instead of the usual 12 hour drive from Austin because we were unsure about our desire to spend 12 hours in a car with Evan. During the 20 minute drive to Bergstrom airport on Tuesday morning, we knew we had made the right decision. The flights went off well enough (except that AA unloaded Vivian's gate-checked car seat at DFW instead of keeping it on the aircraft till Kansas City). A few minutes before we landed at Kansas City airport, I told Vivian to look out of the window. "Look Vivian - that's Kansas down below". Vivian looked puzzled. Then she said "Wow Daddy - Kansas is colored". Took me a few seconds to realize that she expected Kansas to be in shades of sepia as per the Wizard of Oz.


This is the welcome-to-Nebraska sign on 73 between Reserve and Falls City. It's been used for target practice. When I pointed out to Jo that the corresponding welcome-to-Kansas one didn't have holes, she noted that it was new.


In the photo above, we are approaching the stop sign at downtown Padonia - my definition of a Nebraska town. The next three photos below are from around the Country Cabins where we are staying. It's peaceful and lovely. Sunset last night. Vivian sitting on the back deck and pointing out birds. And Evan climbing a rock in the front yard this morning. We stayed here three years ago when Vivian was almost exactly the same age as Evan is now.  The rooms are conveniently labeled: "Country Kitchen", "Country Bathroom". Thank god - I was going to dump in the oven...




This morning we drove up Stone Street in Falls City. I stopped the car and took a photo (below). Jo mentioned that I was holding up traffic. I forgot there were other people. You hardly see anyone else. The next picture is outside the gym on Stone. Jo met Steph there and they worked out together. The gym is chock full of expensive workout machines. Its clean and looks more like a fancy hotel lobby than a gym. A far cry from the Red Black Gym in Austin. But I had to ask Jo to pose in front of the Zumba sign. The only other time I heard of Zumba was on the Xtranormal Crossfit video ("Zumba is not fucking Crossfit").




We dropped Jo off at the gym and got the day started right with a chocolate crunch cone at the Frosty Queen. Then we went to Pioneer park where we ran into Aunt Frances walking Saddler. Evan sat on the bench for a photo op while Vivian played on the merry-go-round.

No comments: