Monday, April 30, 2012

Waves

I'm mesmerized by them.

When you spend a bit of time by the ocean they become a part of your life and the sounds you hear and the rhythm of your thoughts. Manini beach - our beach - the beach we visit everyday was hit by the trailing edge of the phenomenon that wrecked havoc in Japan last year. It swept a few homes off their foundations. Sandy Esperanza, the beach supervisor, showed us where the homes were jostled around by the tsunami. The beach was closed for six months.

I went to Captain Cook's memorial today. It's a short SUP or kayak ride from Manini but we didn't want to chance it with Evan and the rougher surges of the last few days. So I walked down the long way. I stood on the edge of the lava rocks with my camera as a wave came crashing into the rocks. I was standing at least twenty feet into dry rock when I started taking these photos. By the time I was finished a few seconds later my feet were damp. I guess it was a bigger wave than the last few. At it's peak the spray is about 30 feet up in the air and the ocean is about 20 feet below where I'm standing.


No comments: