I try to remind Vivian to think for herself as often as I can. When I'm not telling her to listen to me.
Sometimes Vivian says something like "but my teacher told me so". And I tell her "Honey - think for yourself. Don't believe it just because your teacher said it. Or mommy or me for that matter".
We were having an argument the other day in the car. Vivian had finished watching Dr. Suess' The Lorax on the iPad. I haven't seen the movie. And I don't remember the details of the book. But Vivian noted that in the movie (not the new 3D one) you don't see the Once-ler's face. And at one point the Lorax or someome calls him a monster. Vivian announced that she thought that the Once-ler was a monster.
Vivian has an active imagination. She often has nightmares. So we try not to add to the menagerie of monsters in her head. This line of reasoning led Jo and I to vigorously defend the Once-ler from acquisitions of monsterhood. To which Vivian loudly and clearly stated "Dad! You want me to think for myself. I'm thinking for myself and you are telling me what to think."
Silence.
I needed a minute. My response: "People will often guide you one way or another. You can choose to listen to what they have to say. But in the end you need to examine the evidence and make up your own mind. So if you have considered it through and think the Once-ler as a monster, it's yours to do so."
And I thought she wasn't paying any attention.

No comments:
Post a Comment