On Saturday morning, like on every other morning, Evan jumped into our bed at about 630am. In a very short time, as sleepy as we were, we were driven out of bed with his repeated utterances of "I'm hungry". By 730am we were at 24 Diner enjoying a nice restaurant-made breakfast. As expected the kids quickly lost interest in their own waffles and maple butter. Evan ate my bacon and Vivian my egg. More was ordered. Here's a photo of the kids horsing around at 24 Diner.
When we returned home I was mildly surprised to find that the outdoors was still hot, humid, and mosquito infested. I retreated to the kitchen to do dishes and laundry. Jo and the kids went to the backyard. About an hour later Vivian reappeared looking hot and sweaty. "Daddy - the rest of the family is outside doing their share of the work to make the outside pretty. Are you going to come out?". No I said. "Daddy - we have a lever and we need you to come and push it". So I went out and helped Jo dig up nandina roots. Then I stuck my hand in the fan palms and got stung by a couple of wasps and quickly lost all interest in gardening.
In the afternoon Vivian and I went to Northwest park pool. We had told Ava that we'd meet them there. Once we arrived it was too late to turn back but I could only tell it was a pool by the number of people wandering around in swimwear. The water was all but hidden by the shear number of swimmers. Infants in elaborate floating devices. Toddlers in swim wings. Kids and parents of every size and shape. Middle schoolers making out. Old folks in the lap area. Really old people doing water aerobics. Because most of central Austin was there it should not have come as a surprise that we ran into six different sets of children/parents we knew. I reflected on the fact that before we had kids I'd run into most of them at the pub. Here's a photo of Vivian leaving the pool area.


No comments:
Post a Comment