Saturday, October 26, 2013

A Self-Taught Man

Here's Evan practicing his taekwondo moves on Alu's lawn. He keeps asking us when he can start classes. So you'd think he wants to learn.


One very last leg of our journey back - from Austin airport to home, the conversation went back to taekwondo.

Evan: "When can I start going to taekwondo classes?"
Us: "You are not old enough, but soon"
Vivian: "Yes Evan - you are too little"
Evan: "Vivian - can I go to your class?"
Vivian: "No - I already have an orange belt"
Evan: "Can I get a white jacket like Vivian and white pants?"
Us: "Yes"
Evan: "And a nice black belt?"
Us: "No - you will have to learn taekwondo first"
Evan: "But I already know. I can punch and kick"
Me: "Evan - its like learning to read. First you need to learn taekwondo's letters and then you can string them together"
Evan: "I'm telling you I already know taekwondo"
Us: "Who taught you taekwondo?"
Evan: "I taught myself"

Since then we have realized that Evan thinks he has learned everything by "teaching myself".  Here's another example:

Me: "Evan - what words start with a H sound?"
Evan: "Hat and Halloween"
Me: "Very good. Where did you learn that?"
Evan: "I taught that to myself"
Me: "I think your teachers at Grace Garden taught you that"
Evan: "Daddy -I'm telling you. I taught myself"
Me: "So what do Ms. Jessica and Ms. Erin do at school?"
Evan: "Nothing"

No comments: