Monday, September 21, 2015

Ding Ding

A few months ago Jo got the first of Jasper Fforde's books. Since then we got the second one, and number three is on order (it's not out yet). The books are funny. In the second book, Jennifer's young assistant Tiger (Jennifer is only 14 herself) is given a magic sarcasm globe as he is lowered into a dark well using magic. To light his way down the well he has to say sarcastic things (like "Oh - I feel so safe here"). This sparked something in Evan and he began to understand the concept of sarcasm which has completely baffled him thus far. In the last few days, when I say something over the top sarcastic, Evan yells "Ding ding! The sarcasm globe lit up". But it really has to be over the top.


Yesterday after lunch Jo and I were talking about an email exchange with Chase about kids. I had told him that if he decided not to have children it wouldn't be the end of the world. Jo sweetly said "But it would be the end of the world if we didn't have our wonderful children."

And Evan yelled out "Ding ding!"

Vivian's humor is getting more sophisticated too. Last weekend Jen and Travis were over for dinner. After dinner Evan politely asked "Can Evan have another cookie?" Jen asked "Does he usually talk about himself in the third person?"

And Vivian responded drily - "Yes. Just like The Donald".

No comments: