This is Simran and Vivian from this summer at the Belmont - a nice grocery store in Wakefield, Rhode Island. I agreed to Vivian's pleas to let her walk across the parking lot to a Starbuck's with Simran and get herself something to drink. Non-caffeinated. When they returned to the Belmont I forgot to check what she had bought. Being around Simran makes Vivian feel very grown up.
Simran was about a year older than Vivian is now when Arjun was killed. I didn't see much of her before then. Even when she was around, I didn't really pay attention. Then Arjun died. A few months later Vivian was born and I became introduced to parenthood. And I looked at Simran with more interest as she grew.
Yesterday Simran and I got tea at the Steeping Room. Simran has turned into a confident and intelligent young adult somewhere along the way. And she is heading off for college abroad tomorrow. Good luck Simran and your father would be very proud, just as I am sure your mother is.
But, as one young Khanna leaves Austin, another one arrives. Arjun's nephew is going to "gaming school" at UT. When Vidhvat was about 17 and Vivian was a year and a half old and we met his family for lunch at the Delhi Golf Club, Vivian famously rested her chin on her hands and looked Vidhvat over and said, quite loudly, "What a man".
Here's a rare photo of the next generation at Torchy's Taco from last weekend. Evan isn't morose. He just has his photo face on.
Simran was about a year older than Vivian is now when Arjun was killed. I didn't see much of her before then. Even when she was around, I didn't really pay attention. Then Arjun died. A few months later Vivian was born and I became introduced to parenthood. And I looked at Simran with more interest as she grew.
Yesterday Simran and I got tea at the Steeping Room. Simran has turned into a confident and intelligent young adult somewhere along the way. And she is heading off for college abroad tomorrow. Good luck Simran and your father would be very proud, just as I am sure your mother is.
But, as one young Khanna leaves Austin, another one arrives. Arjun's nephew is going to "gaming school" at UT. When Vidhvat was about 17 and Vivian was a year and a half old and we met his family for lunch at the Delhi Golf Club, Vivian famously rested her chin on her hands and looked Vidhvat over and said, quite loudly, "What a man".
Here's a rare photo of the next generation at Torchy's Taco from last weekend. Evan isn't morose. He just has his photo face on.


No comments:
Post a Comment