Crazy refuses to not lay in the newly planted grasses in the front yard that we are desperately trying to keep alive in Austin's scorching summer heat. Jo has resorted to putting tiny twigs in the ground so they stick out like sharpened stakes to discourage her but so far this strategy isn't working. Crazy is now spending all her outdoor time in the grasses.
Now that school is in full swing Vivian and Evan steal playtime with Ava, Eleanor and Theodor when they can. Homework is already a sore topic. The Mandarin teacher is a hard ass and she wants the kids to practice 10 minutes of Mandarin each day. Vivian doesn't mind that. It's reading Spanish that she hates. And Evan is getting completely exhausted by this Kindergarten thing. He falls asleep on most days in the car on the 10 minute ride back from school, naps for an hour or more, and still gets to bed and crashes when it is his bed time.
We are getting used to school schedules slowly. I am not dropping or picking the kids up as much as I do because Jo seems to have a meeting or a need to see someone at school after drop-off or before pick-up often. She is on the parent association board and is no fun to talk to after these meetings. At home laundry has taken over our lives and if our fair decorator could see how we have redone the living room in shabby laundry style, she'd have a conniption.
Today I turned on the radio just as I pulled into the driveway. Terry Gross was chatting with Louis C. K., who said "The biggest gift about becoming a father is knowing that you are the second most important person in the world". When I see Vivian or Evan being selfish or petty about something, I get impatient. But then I figure I'd better not hold my breath. It's going to be a while before each of them come to the point in their lives when she or he isn't the most important person in the world.





No comments:
Post a Comment