Friday, November 20, 2015

Hye, Texas

Last Friday, as soon as the Adderley dance class was done, Vivian, Evan and I started driving towards New Braunfels. Being rush hour, we took the back roads and stopped at the DQ in Wimberley for dinner. Over dinner Vivian asked me to write out a math problem on my phone and let her solve it. It took her a couple of attempts to get her subtraction of large numbers with carry straight. Then she said "Evan - I'm going to give you some math problems" because he had expressed that he was bored while Vivian was solving her problem. "What is six plus three?"

A few seconds of silence and a look of concentration on his face. Then "Nine".
"Good", continued Vivian, in her full teacher stride now. "Seven plus five?"
"Twelve"
"Nine plus seven?"
"Sixteen"

This went on for a little while. Then she changed tack. "Evan - there are ten signs at the Dairy Queen. Three of them stop working. How many working signs are there?"
"Seven".

I had to interject. "Evan - are you learning this at school?"
"No". But then he says that a lot. Remember when he taught himself Taekwondo and phonics when he was three?
"So how do you know to add and subtract?"
"Oh - I just count forward or backwards."

We finally got to New Braunfels and I dropped the kids off at Nicolle's and drove back to Austin. Vivian was going to spend a night there with the girls while Evan was going to join Cade, Kai and Quinn at Grandma's. Then Vivian and Evan were going to spend Saturday night at Grandma's. And Jo and I would come get them on Sunday.

On Saturday morning we went to a winery tour in Hye, Texas with friends. Jo had bid on this at the Silk Road gala for AFSAA last year. William & Chris vineyards laid out the red carpet for the tour. The owner of the Hye general store across the street brought us lunch - sandwiches made with local meats and jams. And Bill, the William in William & Chris was our guide. The best part of the afternoon was that Jo liked several of their wines. Which is terrific news for Jen and me because now maybe she'll drink with us.




No comments: