This was a question in the application form for Vivian's kindergarten school in Austin. And my answer.
I expect education (along with family and society) to make her a better
human, to help broaden her mind and develop her character, to give her
the knowledge, skills and reasoning abilities to succeed in society,
career and life, and to cultivate dreams and passions and the ability to
pursue them. I want her to know about other people and places and
points of view and cultures and be able to live anywhere and travel
freely without inhibitions or fears. I want her to love learning so much
that she does it for the rest of her life.
I'm not looking for too much, am I Vivian ? :-)
Then there was a question about why we wanted to send our daughter to this particular school.
Partly by elimination - public schools in Austin aren't particularly
good and with funding and ideological crises looming their prospects for
improvement are grim. Parochial schools teach a very specific religious
viewpoint. I would prefer my daughter to decide what she wants to
believe in rather than follow my or the school's path in this respect.
...
No comments:
Post a Comment