Saturday, March 03, 2012

What do People magazine and drinking have in common?

At the start of this year a good friend decided to give up alcohol and do the "I am crossfit" workout and food challenge with Jo and me. His wife who is a teetotaler soon called. I assumed it was to thank me for helping nudge and support her husband's cleaner lifestyle.

Jo reads the gossip rags religiously. She knows who's had a boob-job and how it turned out. I have long considered it a sad case of "a mind is a terrible thing to waste" but I've looked the other way. Recently Jo said that she was subscribing to NYT's app for the iPad. I was ecstatic and euphoric. I had visions of evenings full of deep meaningful conversations about the state of public schooling in Zimbabwe.

I got an earful from my friend's wife who I thought had called to thank me. He is listless at parties. He wants to go home early and sleep. Being around him isn't much fun. Is this really necessary?

Meanwhile, the US is slowly sliding into a slime-filled pit of christian intolerance and we'll beat Saudi Arabia to the bottom. Jo has a ring-side seat and I'm getting the blow-by-blow. My days are filling with despair and gloom straight from the pages of the Times.


Our self-imposed eight weeks of prohibition is over. Yesterday we went to 10D and drank and danced and had a great time. My friend is fun again and his wife is happy. Now if I can just delete that NYT app and get Jo back to wadding around in the bliss of Kardashian marital disputes.


What do People magazine and drinking have in common? Perhaps they make people happy. The make me happy.

Let them eat cake.

No comments: