Saturday, March 03, 2012

What we'll miss

We arrived in Hyderabad today seven months ago. And we'll leave Hyderabad a month and a day from today. Here's a stab at the three things we'll miss about Hyderabad the most.

3. Chicken crisp: Nanking is the first Chinese restaurant that I can remember. In Secunderabad, not for from Percy's Hotel and right next to the slightly shady Lido Bar. They served this amazing chicken crisp - a kind of tempura fried chicken. That was 45 years ago. Now there's a Nanking about 10 minutes from home. We call. Twenty minutes later I drive up and get a grease soaked bag of crisp fried heaven. There's a KFC even closer to home but the Colonel ain't got nothin' on Nanking.

2. Savitri and family: We'll miss Savitri's smiling face and the rest of the happy family. Yesterday I called her at 6pm and asked if she could babysit at 9:30pm. She as always readily agreed. The kids love her and will miss her and Subu and Shravani and Venkatesh. They will miss running into her one-room home and making themselves at home. If only we could take them with us back to Austin. They even asked if we would.



1. Friends and friendships: I came to Hyderabad for family. And we discovered old friends and some new ones. We'll miss hanging out with them and the slow long lunches and diners and evenings at 10D and Syn and the Club and other watering holes and restaurants. We'll miss the enthusiasm and affection they have for Vivian and Evan. But it isn't for naught. Jo and I will take the Hyderabadi spirit of friendship with us back to Austin.


No comments: