Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Almost Legal

On Friday I went to Houston with my dad and handed in a set of forms to the Indian Consulate to renew my dad's passport. A previous set of forms for his green card were sent about three weeks ago to the US immigration people. This almost concludes a marathon process in bureaucracy that sucked my time like a dementor sucks a soul. I filled probably 20 forms and a couple of hundred pages of supporting documents.

I have a not so small heap of forms and documents that I printed along the way but didn't submit. Vivian has been using the other side of these papers to paint and draw. One day she filled out a form in Spanish. She filled in the blanks that required the names of my last six spouses and my dad's last ten addresses with words and phrases from her Spanish classes. I asked her what she was doing. "I'm practicing so that I can do this for you when you are old", she said.

An interesting sentiment at so many levels.

No comments: