Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Don't Go Near The Trash

We keep our trash container next to the garage on Karen and Tim's side of the house. Don't get close to it till Friday when the city dumpster clears it.

I like spring as much as the next person. In fact this is what I looked up and saw this morning while  I lay on my back on the deck. Fresh pecan leaves and a blue sky. It almost made me forget the reason why you shouldn't go near the trash can till Friday.


Two days ago when I went to the bathroom I noticed a horrible stench. I glared at Jo. By last night we had however agreed that something had crawled under the house and died under the bathroom and that Jo didn't need to change her diet. This morning when I got back from the gym Jo said "Honey - whatever has died under the house won't smell any better than it does now." So I put on a full sleeve shirt and my gardening pants. Gunaraj handed me a 3M disposable breathing mask and told me that he's claustrophobic and if something happened to me he would not follow me under the house. I grabbed a flashlight, a trash bag and latex gloves and head down till I came face to face with a very large very dead possum. I used the trash bag and the gloves and crawled back - there's no room to turn. I got out and double bagged the possum and made a deposit in the trash can. It's becoming a spring tradition around here.

No comments: