Saturday, July 20, 2013

Vivian Bernake

Vivian is beginning to appreciate money. But not in the way I'd hoped. She wants to pay for everything these days. "Can I have a snack, Mommy?" OK - here it is. "Thanks - I'm giving you some money for it."  And then she hand-writes a 1000 cent note and hands it over. In terms of amounts, it was in the right ball park - $10 for a snack. But I hope she starts to appreciate where money comes from, why you can't print it on a whim, and how much this country borrows and expects her and her friends to pay back. All that and more and some math.


Last week when I went to pick her up from Spanish camp, there was a car parked at the school with this license plate. I pointed it out to Vivian. That and the juxtaposition of things - the Texas plates (we aren't exactly breaking any records for education except at the bottom), the Ford logo with the Hybrid sign. And the Obama campaign logo. The world's changing. Do Math. And you can do anything!

No comments: