Evan's a bit of a clown. Here he is balancing a pine needle on his nose. Looking rather like a maori medicine man.
Evan says things that he has no idea about. And he says them with great confidence. It worries me because he's at least as good at it as George Bush was. And look how far that took old W.
The other evening we were chatting at Teo's. Vivian and Jo and Simran and Jeanne were talking about a movie called Clue. Someone asked if the game was named after the movie. Evan, with the confidence of an expert said "No. The movie is named after the game". He's never heard of the movie or the game. No problem.
Today I took him to the pool in the middle of the day. After an hour I said "Evan - it will be time to leave in 5 minutes." He replied "No daddy - it's not time to go. We are going to stay here forever". I told him that wouldn't work because it would be dark and time for dinner and bed before forever.
"How long before it's dark, Daddy?"
"About eight hours."
"OK - we can stay here for eight hours then"
He doesn't know what either eight or hours are.
When we returned home we found Mommy was back but was being very quiet because she thought we were both asleep. During lunch Jo mentioned that she was going to meet an old colleague who was a lawyer. I asked if she was thinking of getting back in to it and while we were talking back and forth, Evan chimed in.
"Excuse me, there's something I have to say."
"Thanks for asking so nicely Evan. What's it you want to say?"
"Mommy - I think you should be a clown."
ps. the conversation continued...
"Mommy - being a clown is much much funnier" (we presume than lawyering)
"You need to squint your eyes like this" (and he showed how to)
"And shake your head like this" (and again he demonstrated)
"And that's how you can be a clown"

No comments:
Post a Comment