Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Lesson Learned

Sometimes I find myself saying the same thing to Vivian or Evan over and over again several times a day. With no effect.  And then infrequently days or weeks or months later it may take hold. Which makes me wonder about the speed at which their neurons are making connections (or not).

Life isn't simple. It isn't easy to tell right from wrong. Or to process all that shit that is thrown at you from every side twenty four hours a day and to filter out the yogurt ads from the stuff to keep. That's what I worry about. How are Vivian and Evan learning the important stuff? So imagine my surprise when I learned something today. Something I have apparently been told often but never heard.

So here it is. Squeeze your butt together when you are standing up from a squat. Jen has said this to me a hundred times but I finally heard it today. And then I back-squatted two hundred pounds. Certainly not Atlas. But just squeeze together and you will be rewarded.

It has taken me four years to hear this very simple instruction at the gym. I will be more patient when Vivian and Evan don't appear to grok my wisdom the very first time. Repetition has it's place. Neurons march to their own beat. Such is life.

No comments: