Sunday, December 30, 2012

Turkey

I have never quite developed a taste for turkey. The best I can say is that occasionally I find a crispy piece that includes some skin and it isn't bad. This year I prepared the bird in Carol's oil-less frier (an oxymoron for a name but it's actually quite descriptive). It took just two and a half hours to produce a perfectly crispy golden brown turkey on the outside with moist (and still tasteless) meat on the inside with absolutely no fuss.

Before I put the turkey in the frier I plonked it down in front of my dad who was napping at the table after breakfast. He opened one eye and then went back to his nap. When it was done I put the cooked turkey back in front of him. He considered it for some time. Then he asked me how I had obtained it. He didn't believe that it had been cooked on the deck outside just a few feet from him during his nap. This is all new to him - it's his first Christmas in Austin. If you are wondering, Hyderabadi's usually don't celebrate Christmas with turkey.


And here we all are. The kids and my dad are already digging in. The rest of us ate on the porch. Next Christmas I am going to add steaks or a nice fish to the mix. Even if they have to be dragged in kicking and screaming.

No comments: