Back in the days of Neonyoyo I had procured a few large containers of Konjac jelly candy for the office. Unless you had it back then you probably haven't run into it because it was banned for sale in the US and Europe shortly thereafter due to being a choking hazard (the cup sized jelly is eaten by squeezing the cup and sucking out the contents simultaneously. The jelly of the konjac plant is thicker than the usual animal-based gelatin and requires chewing to break it down into smaller pieces. Apparently tongue and suction pressure in the mouth aren't enough. There were a few well-publicized deaths of adults and children choking to death while eating konjac jelly candy).
The type I had bought was from Indonesia and didn't actually contain any konjac. But still that's what we called it.
The other day Jo tossed the last bottle out the pantry and into the trash. It's been sitting there for over a decade. Time for it to go. I took a few photos and bid it a fond farewell. Another remnant of the past gone.


No comments:
Post a Comment