Friday, August 15, 2014

Back

Time to go home. We've spent just about too much time with each other.

Our flights from Copenhagen via Reykjavik to Boston were uneventful though we did have to see three different immigration and customs agents at Logan airport when Jo remembered that we were carrying dreaded Danish carrots. We stayed at Alu and Michelle's for a couple of days. Alu and Michelle entertained the kids while Jo and I did nothing. One rainy morning Vivian set up a shanty shop in their front yard and tried to peddle home made perfume and other odds and ends. No takers but she had fun.

Me: "Did you sell anything?"
Evan: "We sold a lot of things"
Vivian: "No"
Evan: "What is sell mean?"



When our airplane landed in Austin airport, Evan looked out the window and said "Austin - I love you". At arrivals the kids climbed the metal protectors / sculptures and enjoyed the 100 degree weather till Jen came and got us. Full circle.


Within an hour we were eating lunch at Whole Foods. Within two we were on our way to Canyon Lake. The kids are spending the night with their cousins. Evan wants us to make a play date with Vivian's friend Felix. So they can fight.

"I'm not into girls now" he announced the other day.
"What?"
"Oh - I'm still into Vivian".
A moment later,  "...and Ava"

"I'm just not into x. She wants to do things her way when we play"
And then after a moment's reflection, "It's not even that. I'm just not into her"

[I'm going to keep the identity of poor (or lucky) x secret for now]

The kids grew up some more while we were busy traveling. Thirty five days, 5 countries. Evan has added words like "destination" to his normal speech. Usage: "Vivian - today our destination is Reykjavik. In the meantime I have a deal for you". Vivian replies "Evan, can't you just keep quiet for a little while?" Yesterday Alu asked Evan why he was feeling sleepy at 6pm. "Because it's midnight in Copenhagen time, Uncle Alu".

We've found that long trips like this are different from the weekender. The family gets into the rhythm of traveling. Habits and interactions change. Vivian and Evan are more grown-up since we did this the last time. But I'm happy to say that like the GM tomato, we still travel well without spoiling.

So we are back home. It's four in the morning and I'm wondering which one is stupider - drinking two bottles of wine at Nicolle's pool party last night or going to work out with Jen in three hours time. And I'm thinking it's time to plan another trip. Yesterday Jo mentioned Santorini. 

No comments: