We upped our game. Last evening Karen ordered pizza. Jo took La Croix and fruits. And we ruled the pool. I can't believe that the life guards didn't blow their whistles at Karen and Jo.
This morning Cade, Evan, Ava, Vivian, Grace and I walked to Taco Shack for breakfast. Then against Jo's better advice I went to play soccer. For the first time since mid June. And on the very last play of the game I kicked the bottom of someone's boot so hard that it felt like I had broken my toe. My right big toe wasn't in the same place as the left one. Before the pain got any worse I drove home in a hurry. Jo and the kids had prepared an icy treat for my ALS ice bucket challenge. Nicolle had challenged me the day before. You only get 24 hours to do it. While everyone stood around and watched in glee I dumped the ice water on my head. Brrr. Jo sure can make a mean bucket of icy water.
Then I made the mistake of taking off my soccer boot. I had intended on driving to the hospital in my boots and parking in front of the ER and then taking my first look. Should have stuck to the plan. My right big toe was squished back into the foot and stuck up at about a 60 degree angle.
This morning Cade, Evan, Ava, Vivian, Grace and I walked to Taco Shack for breakfast. Then against Jo's better advice I went to play soccer. For the first time since mid June. And on the very last play of the game I kicked the bottom of someone's boot so hard that it felt like I had broken my toe. My right big toe wasn't in the same place as the left one. Before the pain got any worse I drove home in a hurry. Jo and the kids had prepared an icy treat for my ALS ice bucket challenge. Nicolle had challenged me the day before. You only get 24 hours to do it. While everyone stood around and watched in glee I dumped the ice water on my head. Brrr. Jo sure can make a mean bucket of icy water.
Then I made the mistake of taking off my soccer boot. I had intended on driving to the hospital in my boots and parking in front of the ER and then taking my first look. Should have stuck to the plan. My right big toe was squished back into the foot and stuck up at about a 60 degree angle.
A couple of hours later during which I sat in an ER while Jo made lots of short trips with all the kids, the doctor straightened out the toe. Six x-rays finally convinced him that it was only dislocated. Good news. "So it will heal in a couple of days?" I asked hopefully. The doctor laughed. He said I would probably be able to ditch my ortho boot and wear regular shoes in two weeks. Which is good because I sure can't hike the Tetons in my ortho boot.
Earlier when Jo was driving me to the ER, Evan said, a couple of times, "Daddy - I love you". And then he wanted to see what the toe looked like. When I got back in the car after I was done at the ER, he asked "Are you feeling better now, Daddy? Did they flatten out your toe?" He was clearly concerned. Five kids saw the same thing. He was the only one to react that way.
Vivian will cry at the memory of a cat dying in a movie ("Vivian - you know the cat didn't actually die?" "I know but I can't help it. It makes me so sad"). But she doesn't get that way about real people. A bit like someone's Hallmark commercial problem.
Jo and I have noticed this about Evan before. The boy immediately tunes in when someone is in pain, emotionally or physically. 95% turd. 5% sweetness and caring.
I've taken my hydrocodone. Getting ready to drool on my pillow. Good night y'all. Looking forward to seeing videos of Simran, Karen and Michelle P icing their lovely heads tomorrow.
Oh - and it's Evan's very first day at Magellan tomorrow. Cross your fingers or say a prayer for the boy and his teacher please.


No comments:
Post a Comment