Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Iceberg Lagoon

One day we drove more than a third around the coast of Iceland to see the Jökulsárlón floating iceberg lagoon in south eastern Iceland's famous and massive Vatnajökull ice cap. One the way there we passed though miles and miles of emptiness. Silvery moss covered lava. For. Ever.

When we finally got there, everyone else in the car was fast asleep and I was almost. I parked on a side road and we stepped out. Turns out that the moss is soft and spongy and warmish and dryish and great to lay on and run around on. Vivian and I contemplated sleeping the night on the moss. Evan stayed attached to Jo and refused to step on the moss.


We clambered over a hill and found the ice lagoon. This particular glacier empties into the lagoon. So chunks of ice float around lazily and make their way slowly to the ocean from one outlet at one end of the lagoon. In this photo below, Vivian is hamming it up on a rock, the top of Evan's head is to the right of Vivian's right foot as he attempts to climb the rock, and Jo is staring at the ice. I eventually got her turned around for a photo too.


We walked around some more and picked up a couple of German hitch hikers and dropped them off about half-way and drove back to our horse farm house an hour before sunrise.

No comments: