Friday, July 11, 2014

Leaving Austin

We are going away for five weeks. And Evan is already complaining about wanting to stay at home.

"I want to stay at home"
"Evan - we are going to Iceland"
"I wish we can take our white wooden house with us"
"Evan - it's not like Grandma's camper. We can't just roll it away"
"Then I wish we can take our car with us. Can we drive it to Iceland?"

I take him inside and show him the world map and point out Iceland and the expanse of blue around it. He capitulates. But not willingly.

Jo and I start moving pieces of luggage around. Crazy senses that she's not going to like whatever is coming and get crazier than usual and meows all the fricking time. We make excuses and find things to do so we don't have to pack. I even clean out the fridge. Evan and Vivian and I go for a walk with Simran and Jeanne. We get Taylor to babysit the kids and go out for dinner with Jen and Travis. Jo and I both know that we'll be eating dinner with the kids for the next 38 days. In captivity.


The next day we go to Whole Foods for lunch. We haven't cooked at home for so long why break the streak now. I notice that Evan is dressed in a red t-shirt, white and blue flannel PJ bottoms and faux snakeskin boots. We eat our favorite spicy noodles and grilled chicken soup. Later we get home and Jo packs. We nap. I wake up in time to finish my packing and shower. Jen shows up to drive us to the airport. Schlotzsky's sandwiches for dinner.  We board our flight. I sit with Evan on one side of the aisle and Jo and Vivian take the other side. It's a four hour flight to Boston. We arrive at 12:15am. Evan talks for three hours and fifty minutes and sleeps the last ten.


Michelle picks us up from the airport and Vivian falls asleep in the car. Evan keeps talking. He is jittery from the lack of sleep now. Every two minutes he asks how long before we reach Uncle Alu's. I'm still sitting beside him and I am very tired of listening to him. We get to Wakefield and put the kids to bed and it's almost three. Evan finally shuts up but I can still hear him in my head.

No comments: