Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Saxholl

When you are on a road trip you sometimes think you should stop and do something but by then you have driven by it and the moment has passed and you don't want to stop and turn around. I must have driven by a hundred hills and volcanoes in Iceland that I thought would be so much fun to run up. 

One very overcast day we were driving through the funnily named Snæfellsnes national park (the main peak here is the starting point for the journey in Verne's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth"). The landscape was as dramatic as anything we've seen in Iceland so far. And the road went on forever - with not another car or soul in sight.


And that's when I saw Saxholl, an unfortunately named volcano. We stopped the car and run up to the rim of the crater and walked around it and back down. In the first photo Jo and the kids are probably a third of the way around the rim from me.



And Evan peed at the top. He had to go.

No comments: