Yesterday Vivian was leafing through a cookbook. The authors were a young couple. In the introductory section there was a photograph of them. The guy was kissing the side of the woman's head. Vivian commented "Mommy, daddy - you need to kiss more". I told her that we used to kiss a lot more before she was born. And that if we kiss a lot there is a danger of her getting new siblings.
Later that afternoon when Jo walked up to say something I decided to follow Vivian's advice. I kissed her. In a second Vivian was on top of me. "Not like that Mommy. This is how you kiss". And she grabbed a fistful of hair on the the back of my head, tilted her head a very specific angle and planted a firm kiss on my lips.
That evening was date night. When we returned the kids were in bed. As we usually do we asked Joy how the evening went. "A little strange" she said. "There was a lot of talk about kissing." Vivian asked Joy if she knew what her parents were doing. "On a date, probably getting dinner somewhere". To which Vivian replied: "No. They are kissing because that's what they do when there are no kids around".
Vivian's sitting on the couch in front of me as I type this. I asked her what she thought Jo and I did on date nights.
"Kiss" she replied without hesitating. Funny and all but I'm going to disabuse her of that idea before she goes on a date.
No comments:
Post a Comment