What makes a Subaru a Subaru? Why, love, of course. So I asked the kids to give our old trusty Subaru a hug before the left for school on Wednesday morning. "Why?" they asked. Because it may not be here when you get back from school, I said.
I sold it about an hour later.
That afternoon, right from school we went to the dealership to pick up our new car. The same dealership sold Land Rovers and Jags (Tata owns both brands). Vivian walked past all the Rovers and didn't stop till she got to the f-type Jag convertible and leaned up against it. "Dad - can you buy this one? I like the black exterior and white interior."
I sold it about an hour later.
I told her may be later. She turned to Evan. "Evan - you can have the Land Rover when you go to college. I'll take the Jaguar."
On Thursday afternoon we had four nasty kids in the back breaking in the new car. I considered how my life had changed. Ten years ago I owned a two-seater convertible with a six-speed manual. Now I am carting kids around in a seven seater with an eight-speed automatic. I wish I had listened to Vivian and bought the damn f-type instead.
But this isn't mine. Happy Birthday, Jo.



No comments:
Post a Comment