Thursday, May 12, 2016

Cooking Badge

Speaking of girl scouts, last Saturday a mother invited several kids from Vivian's troop to come over and learn to knit and bake. It seemed like a good idea after two semester of girl scout talks by parents on economics and science (during the science talk Vivian asked if she could build a nuclear bomb. When I said no, she asked what if it was a really tiny little nuclear bomb. She was very disappointed when I said no again. Grandpa would be happy though).

Jo and I dropped Vivian off at Trea's home. Evan was disappointed that he couldn't hang with them. Later that evening I picked up a very happy Vivian. While some muffins had been baked and some yarn had been knotted, the majority of the time had been well spent in the hot tub with seven of her friends.


Jo had a birthday dinner to go to, so Evan, Vivian and I picked up Vidhvat and headed off to the Salt Lick. Vidhvat has almost finished his game developer's course in Austin and we are hustling to do things that he recalls from when he was Vivian's age and visited Arjun and Simran in Austin a decade and a half ago. The Salt Lick was on that list. We stopped at what used to be Bubba's and bought some cold beer and some juice for the kids and went on to Salt Lick. There was an hour's wait but the time passed quickly while the kids ran around and climbed trees and we recycled aluminum cans.

When dinner arrived Evan refused to touch anything except bread and a few spoons of the blueberry cobbler with ice cream. Vivian ate like there was no tomorrow. And I realized that my ability to eat large quantities of barbecue has much diminished since we would drive out here twenty years ago.


But the food was good and I'd give those guys at the pit a cooking badge.


No comments: