Sunday, May 08, 2016

Climbing

Evan never expresses strong opinions about wanting anything. Which makes him the perfect candidate for experiential gifts. Jo told him that we'd take him and a friend to a rock climbing gym. When the day arrived we took him and two friends, Krish and Eason. And Vivian. The three boys were absolutely crazy during the 20 minute drive from school during which among other unspeakable things I contemplated calling up their teacher and telling her that I wanted to nominate her for sainthood and the Nobel Peace Prize. 

At the climbing gym, Evan started off hesitantly. After a while he was climbing the easy sections all the way to the top with confidence. I'd say he had a lot of fun.


But the one that enjoyed Evan's birthday gift the most was Vivian. She's a cross between a monkey and a mountain goat. She got done with the easy sections in minutes.



After about half an hour she had successfully tried most of the hard trails. The adults who were around and looked like serious regulars were encouraging her to work the really hard trails and were giving her tips while they quietly whispered to me that she was really good and a very intuitive climber. And that we should seriously consider getting her a lot more climbing practice. Do I want to worry about my daughter spending the night on a narrow ridge dangling 2000 feet above the Yosemite valley on El Capitan. I think not. Sorry, honey - stay excited about the monkey bars at school.

No comments: