I am back in Hyderabad after almost two months. I went to Vivian's old school to pick up the DVD of her dance performance. I met with her old principal who inquired warmly about Vivian. She gave me the three-set DVD (it was a three hour long school-wide performance of which Vivian's part lasts for about 3 minutes) as a gift. Then I asked if I could say hello to her old teachers. The principal started leading me to Vivian's old class before she stopped suddenly. "Neither of them work here any more". I had to ask if Vivian was partly responsible for their decisions to leave. "No" she said not very convincingly. She then added that Shwana Teacher had only recently quit because she was expecting. Vivian is certainly not responsible for that. Phew.
I shook hands with the guard at the front gate who asked about "baby, baba and madam" and stepped outside to see shinny new traffic cones. The gates to Vivian's school are between the red gateposts on the right side of the photo above. All the people standing around and some more will be fully animated and directing traffic when the mothers and nannies and drivers start to arrive to pick up the kids in a few minutes. And it will all be hopelessly chaotic. I was almost tempted to stay and watch. The traffic cones are new. So perhaps there is hope. But then again the Second Law of thermodynamics is felt very strongly in India.

No comments:
Post a Comment