Thursday, March 31, 2016

Delhi to Hyderabad

After breakfast at Arjun's home, Gyan drops me off at Delhi airport for my flight to Hyderabad. I have eaten so much food the last few days, I feel like that three humped camel. But I walk around the airport and run into a Krispy Kreme donut place. Years ago Jo and I had determined that donuts - which hadn't yet made their way to India then - would be a huge hit here. We had joked about bringing the Dunkin' Donut franchise to Hyderabad.



The young lady who boards my aircraft ahead of me has two huge boxes from Krispy Kreme. For a moment I thought I'd ask if I could take a photo of her with the boxes. Then I decide against it and just take a photo of the airplane. I fall asleep as soon as I sit down and am dead to the world till about two hours later when I hear the first officer asking the flight attendants to  sit because of turbulence. The plane is being tossed around. I briefly think of the recent FlyDubia flight and wake up in a hurry. A few minutes later I am safely walking on the tarmac of Hyderabad airport. It is hot! Welcome to an early Hyderabadi summer.


The next day I'm being driven through Ameerpet (past the old house where I lived for a couple of years in the mid '70's). I look out of the window and see what looks like a newspaper ad page cut and pasted on to the real world. This is where that person at the end of the Dell tech support phone is minted.


Meanwhile on the other side of the world it was Easter and Jo and the kids went to Slumber Falls for Pastor Scot's service. Then it looks like she managed to get them to sit in the bluebonnets for a photo. Much better than Evan last year. And because I wasn't around to cook Easter lunch, Jo got Carol to fix her special fried chicken. I can only retaliate by sending Jo a photo of me eating crispy chicken from Nanking, the old Chinese restaurant in Hyderabad.

The two sides of the world are dancing a fascinating tango. Last week Tiki, probably from Singapore, ordered a box of yoga mats, probably made in China, for herself and had them sent to me in Austin so I could carry them back to India for her. I didn't notice when the Fedex guy came by, but a few seconds later I got a whatsapp message from Tiki (I don't know where in the world she was then) that her yoga mats had arrived. I walk to the front of my house in Austin and pick up the package just as the Fedex guy waves and drives away.  Eat your heart out, Mr. Friedman :-)

No comments: