Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Self Assessment

Self assessment is a crucial aspect of higher order thinking. This time around Vivian and Evan's school had kids do self assessments. The student ran the conference with the parents while the teachers hovered in the background. Prior to the event, the school had sent us instructions that basically asked us to smile and nod. So I kept my hard questions to myself.

The day before, Evan had explained the process to Uncle Alu. "We go over our portfolio and talk to our parents". Both he and Vivian did that very well. Vivian was hard on herself and gave herself a score of 3 out of 5 in some areas where I would give her a 4. She identified "being more organized" as something she is going to work on.



Evan had no such issues but occasionally gave himself only a "yes" instead of an "always" (for example in "I am a communicator: I listen to others with attention and respect"). When he was asked to identify an area to work on, he said "Draw animals better". His poor teacher had penciled in below that: "And to have better control over my body". 

No comments: