Jo has never baked before (and as a rule I don't). Vivian requested a home made cake for her birthday. Something that she and her mommy could do together. So, bang - a five layer (it was to be six but the kids and I broke one) dense chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream between the layers, chocolate covered sunflower seeds in a hole down the middle of the cake, and dark chocolate ganache on top.
Jo has got lots of email support from Ms. Tammy - Evan's cooking teacher and ex pastry chef at Jeffrey's. And I've occasionally cracked some of the 15 eggs that have gone into the cake and more for the icing because we try not to let Jo touch the insides of eggs. But she and Vivian have been busy every evening with baking and mixing and stirring and what not.
The cake looks and smells and tastes fabulous. Evan and I took the insides that were left over when Jo made the "hole" and we made our own layered cake and covered it with whipped cream. He cut it and he and Vivian and I ate it after dinner tonight. Yes - we had our cake and ate it too.
Jo has got lots of email support from Ms. Tammy - Evan's cooking teacher and ex pastry chef at Jeffrey's. And I've occasionally cracked some of the 15 eggs that have gone into the cake and more for the icing because we try not to let Jo touch the insides of eggs. But she and Vivian have been busy every evening with baking and mixing and stirring and what not.
The cake looks and smells and tastes fabulous. Evan and I took the insides that were left over when Jo made the "hole" and we made our own layered cake and covered it with whipped cream. He cut it and he and Vivian and I ate it after dinner tonight. Yes - we had our cake and ate it too.





No comments:
Post a Comment