Back in October Vivian had to tell her class what she wanted to grow up and be. A chef - a cocinera because she wants to cook dinner like her dad. It wouldn't be my first choice for Vivian (as if it's my choice). On the other hand, it's better than Vivian's previous choice.
Recently we heard how the question played out at one of Vivian's classmate's homes. For anonymity I'm going to call her Alice.
Alice came home from school that evening.
Alice "I want to grow up and be an artist."
Dad (thinking to himself) "This should be fun."
Mom "Why not something like a lawyer or a hedge fund manager instead?"
Alice "No - I really want to be an artist."
Mom "You know, you aren't very good at drawing."
Dad (thinking to himself) "Way to squash a six year old's dreams"
Alice "I can draw a nice bridge."
Mom "Better be nice. You are going to have to sleep under it."
Makes me think I'm being too soft with the kids.
Recently we heard how the question played out at one of Vivian's classmate's homes. For anonymity I'm going to call her Alice.
Alice came home from school that evening.
Alice "I want to grow up and be an artist."
Dad (thinking to himself) "This should be fun."
Mom "Why not something like a lawyer or a hedge fund manager instead?"
Alice "No - I really want to be an artist."
Mom "You know, you aren't very good at drawing."
Dad (thinking to himself) "Way to squash a six year old's dreams"
Alice "I can draw a nice bridge."
Mom "Better be nice. You are going to have to sleep under it."
Makes me think I'm being too soft with the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment