Soon after Vivian's birthday party we got dressed and handed the kids over to Carol and left for the Magellan Gala - the big annual fundraiser for Vivian's school. The theme was Bollywood Dreams. It was strange to walk into a ballroom filled with over three hundred people half of whom, specially the women, were dressed in Indian clothes and saris. And then a dance group from a local studio - white women (and one black) - performed a couple of Bollywood dances on stage.
I don't do Bollywood. I haven't seen a Bollywood movie in 30 years though they play everyday in Austin movie theaters. (I did see a Hindi movie when we lived in India - Modh - in which Sharath had a role) . So it was with some irony that here we were at a Bollywood themed gala.
The evening was interesting.The live auctioneer was a pint-sized Texan lady with short spiked hair in an emerald green sari. I was amazed at the ease with which she extracted large sums of money from people, admittedly generous people. The founder, principal and one more person stood up and said nice things about the school and about education in a new world. I couldn't help but think. Is Magellan going to produce a Microsoft CEO? Or should we send Vivian and Evan off to Hyderabad Public School instead?
After a while we had enough fun and we headed back home. Five parties in eight days, four of which Jo had put together. That's four more than Jo would like. This morning the kids woke up in their pajamas and went right back to sleep 14 hours later in the same clothes. We are partied out.
I don't do Bollywood. I haven't seen a Bollywood movie in 30 years though they play everyday in Austin movie theaters. (I did see a Hindi movie when we lived in India - Modh - in which Sharath had a role) . So it was with some irony that here we were at a Bollywood themed gala.
The evening was interesting.The live auctioneer was a pint-sized Texan lady with short spiked hair in an emerald green sari. I was amazed at the ease with which she extracted large sums of money from people, admittedly generous people. The founder, principal and one more person stood up and said nice things about the school and about education in a new world. I couldn't help but think. Is Magellan going to produce a Microsoft CEO? Or should we send Vivian and Evan off to Hyderabad Public School instead?
After a while we had enough fun and we headed back home. Five parties in eight days, four of which Jo had put together. That's four more than Jo would like. This morning the kids woke up in their pajamas and went right back to sleep 14 hours later in the same clothes. We are partied out.


No comments:
Post a Comment