Sunday, February 09, 2014

Cotton Candy

A side-effect of Vivian's science party was that the rent-a-scientist made the kids cotton candy. I suspect there could be some educational lessons there but none was attempted. I stood there with my camera and took photos. The hedonic smell of fresh cotton candy. An occasional breeze that caught bits of candy right out of the spinning basin and swirled them up into the sunny sky. Everyone smiling. It was magical.


And then I took a photo of the scientist handing Evan his cotton candy. Cute, I thought. I took my eyes off him for about 5 seconds and looked back and he had an empty stick in his hand. My brain struggled with what had just happened while my feet were walking in a different direction. I managed to ignore the dissonance in my brain and I went on and did whatever I was doing next.


Till Jody called me back and said "Hey Arun - you got to see this". I went back and saw Jody handing Evan another huge fluff of cotton candy. Evan grabbed it off the stick and squished it and shoved half into his mouth in one go. By the time I had the sense to line up my camera, he had taken a second huge bite. In another second he was done. It took him less than 4 seconds to devour the whole thing. And I think this was his third cotton candy in about a minute. Evan's got talent.


No comments: