Friday, June 13, 2014

80's Rock Star

On Thursday Vivian dressed as a 80's rock star and we sat through two hours of watching other people's children before we got to see her on stage. It was worth the wait.

You can see Vivian in center front. She's the one jumping.


This is the very peak of her achievements after two years at private school. Her teacher said that she practically choreographed the show and was the most enthusiastic participant. Instead of talking about her Spanish or her mathematics or her listening skills at today's parent teacher conference they went on and on about her dancing. I'm happy. It could be worse.

After Jo and I steered the conversation back to academics we did find out that Vivian has had a very good year. She is beginning to converse and write in Spanish. And she's finally turning in good work.

A story about her math. A few weeks ago Vivian's teacher celebrated her birthday. When I met her in the hallway that afternoon and wished her feliz cumpleaƱos she said "happy to be 25 finally!". I came back home and related that to Jo. Vivian's teacher is about the size of a small 14-year old and dresses like one. So we had no trouble believing that she had just turned 25. Last week her daughter showed up to help her in class. Vivian said that she was in the 11th grade. We were at Whole Foods.

Me: "There's a problem"
Vivian: "Why?"
Me: "Do the math"
Vivian: "How?"
Me: "How old are you?"
Vivian: "7"
Me: "How old is Ms. Gina's daughter? You are in the 1st grade and she's in the 11th"
Vivian: (after some thought) "17?"
Me: "Right. If Ms. Gina is 25 how old was she when her daughter was born?"
Vivian: (after more thinking) "Uh - 8? I see...."

Turns out that Ms. Gina is in her thirties. And Vivian's math skills aren't bad.

No comments: