At Grandma's pool if Vivian wants to run around without a t-shirt I don't insist on it. But recently there have been times when the boys have taken their shirts off, like at Vivian's school field day and at public pools where she has asked me if she can take her shirt off. I tell her no. She asks, why not?
I tell her that in most places in the world there are double standards. That a man's chest can be bared in public but because of some additional breast tissue a woman's chest is considered a part of her privates. She looks at me like I'm crazy. I tell her there are laws. We haven't yet gone as far as trying to discuss who or what those laws are trying to defend but that day isn't far away.
Then someone posted about the Tata Top on FB - a new bikini top in many skin tones with nipples printed on them. I like it when innovation disrupts.
All this is probably going to come back and bite me in the ass during a spring break in Vivian's not too distant future. But it's never hard to determine what's the right side in the battle for equality. And I'm happy to throw my vote to free the nipple.
I tell her that in most places in the world there are double standards. That a man's chest can be bared in public but because of some additional breast tissue a woman's chest is considered a part of her privates. She looks at me like I'm crazy. I tell her there are laws. We haven't yet gone as far as trying to discuss who or what those laws are trying to defend but that day isn't far away.
Then someone posted about the Tata Top on FB - a new bikini top in many skin tones with nipples printed on them. I like it when innovation disrupts.
All this is probably going to come back and bite me in the ass during a spring break in Vivian's not too distant future. But it's never hard to determine what's the right side in the battle for equality. And I'm happy to throw my vote to free the nipple.
No comments:
Post a Comment