Here are two excellent science fiction books. I read Lexicon when Jo and I were in Montreal in May. And finished Altered Carbon this morning.
Max Barry is a writer from Melbourne. Lexicon has to be one of the fastest paced novels I've read. It's smart, makes you think, and it's very non-linear. If you pick it up my advice is to read it quickly otherwise you need to remember a lot of things to keep the plot straight. The idea is that people can make others do things against their will by speaking certain words. In the old days they were called magic words. Now it's become a science.
Nina gave me Altered Carbon. It's older - published back in 2002. Morgan is English. I thought "ahh - Richard K. Morgan - how unoriginal, even in the way you state your name" and then I read that the book at won the Phillip K Dick award in 2003. He writes a murder mystery set in the future when our digitized minds can be downloaded into passive bodies. Which makes ideas like death, life and love very interesting.
Max Barry is a writer from Melbourne. Lexicon has to be one of the fastest paced novels I've read. It's smart, makes you think, and it's very non-linear. If you pick it up my advice is to read it quickly otherwise you need to remember a lot of things to keep the plot straight. The idea is that people can make others do things against their will by speaking certain words. In the old days they were called magic words. Now it's become a science.
Nina gave me Altered Carbon. It's older - published back in 2002. Morgan is English. I thought "ahh - Richard K. Morgan - how unoriginal, even in the way you state your name" and then I read that the book at won the Phillip K Dick award in 2003. He writes a murder mystery set in the future when our digitized minds can be downloaded into passive bodies. Which makes ideas like death, life and love very interesting.


No comments:
Post a Comment